2 Timothy 1 commentary


    1: Paulos an apostle of Iesous Christos by the will of Theos according to the promise of life which is in Christ Jesus 2: To Timotheos my dearly beloved offspring Grace mercy and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our master 3: I thank Theos whom I serve from my forefathers with pure conscience that without ceasing I have remembrance of you in my prayers night and day 4: Greatly desiring to see you being mindful of your tears that I may be filled with joy 5: When I call to remembrance the genuine faith that is in you which dwelt first in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice and I am persuaded that in you also[1] 6: Wherefore I put thee in remembrance that you stir up the gift of God which is in you by the putting on of my hands Acts 8:9-19 7: For God has not given us the spirit of fear but of power and of love and of a sound mind 8: Be not thou therefore ashamed of the testimony of our Lord nor of me his prisoner but be thou partaker of the afflictions of the gospel according to the power of God 9: Who hath saved us and called us with an holy calling not according to our works but according to his own purpose and grace which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began 10: But is now made manifest by the appearing of our Savior Jesus Christ who has abolished death and has brought life and immortality to light through the gospel 11: Whereunto I am appointed a preacher and an apostle and a teacher of the Gentiles 12: For the which cause I also suffer these things nevertheless I am not ashamed for I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day[2] 13: Hold fast the form of sound words which you have heard of me in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus 14: That good thing which was committed unto thee keep by the Holy Ghost who dwells in us 15: This you know that all they in Asia be turned away from me of whom are Phygellus and Hermogenes 16: The Lord give mercy unto the house of Onesiphorus for he often refreshed me and was not ashamed of my chains 17: But when he was in Rome he sought me out very diligently and found me 18: The Lord grant unto him that he may find mercy of the Lord in that day :12 and in how many things he served me at Ephesus you know very well





[1] Timothy’s mother and grandmother were Jewish believers, whose influence on Timothy was profound. Nothing is said about his Greek father, so it is assumed that his father was either dead or that he was alive but a follower of one or more of the pantheon of Greek gods available to Roman citizens. If that is the case, then Timothy would have been raised in the Father cult tradition of the Greeks, where the father was the priest of his household, offering sacrifices to whichever patron god[s] he chose and training Timothy to do the same, once he was grown and master over his own household. It is significant, that by the time Timothy reached adulthood, that it was the influence of his believing mother and grandmother that prevailed. It is also significant, that in a society where women’s names were not mentioned publicly (not even in court trials, unless they were notorious for something) that Paul does not shrink from calling women by name in his letters to the churches.



[2] The “day” Paul refers to, is the day he will stand before the Judgment Seat of Christ Romans 14:10, 2 Corinthians 5:10,

No comments: