2 Corinthians 11: Commentary

 1: Would to God you could bear with me a little in my folly and indeed bear with me 2: For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy for I have espoused you to one husband that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ 3: But I fear lest by any means as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtlety so your minds should be corrupted from the singleness TYN that is in Christ 4: For if indeed [some] come [and] preach another Jesus whom we have not preached or if you receive another spirit [1] which you have not received or another gospel which you have not accepted, [them] you might well tolerate [2] 5: For I suppose I was not behind the chiefest apostles 6: But though I be ordinary in speech yet not in knowledge but we have been thoroughly made manifest among you in all things 7: Have I committed an offence in abasing myself that you might be exalted because I have preached to you the gospel of God freely 8: I robbed other churches taking wages of them to do you service 9: And when I was present with you and lacked I was chargeable to none For that which was lacking to me the brethren which came from Macedonia supplied and in all things I have kept myself from being burdensome to you and so will I keep myself 10: As the truth of Christ is in me none shall stop me of this boasting in the regions of Achaia 11: Why? because I don’t love you? God knows 12: But what I do that I will do that I may cut off occasion from them who desire opportunities that wherein they glory they may be found even as we 13: For such are false apostles deceitful workers transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ[3] 14: And no marvel for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light 15: Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness whose end shall be according to their works 16: I say again Let no one think me a fool if otherwise yet as a fool receive me that I may boast myself a little 17: That which I speak I speak it not after the Lord [4] but as it were foolishly in this confidence of boasting 18: Seeing that many glory after the flesh I will glory also 19: For you gladly tolerate fools seeing you yourselves are wise 20: For you tolerate [it] if one brings you into bondage if some devour you if they take of you if they exalt themselves if they smite you on the face 21: I speak as concerning reproach as though we had been weak Howbeit wherever any are bold (I speak foolishly) I am bold also 22: Are they Hebrews So am I Are they Israelites So am I Are they the seed of Abraham so am I 23: Are they ministers of Christ (I speak as a fool) I am more in labors more abundant, in stripes above measure, in prisons more frequently, in death often[5] 24: Of the Jews five times received I forty stripes save one 25: Three times I was beaten with rods. Once I was stoned. Three times I suffered shipwreck, a night and a day I have been in the deep 26: In journeyings often in perils of waters in perils of robbers in perils by mine own countrymen in perils by the nations in perils in the city in perils in the wilderness in perils in the sea in perils among false brethren 27: In labor and travail TYN in watchings often in hunger and thirst in fastings often in cold and nakedness 28: Besides the things which outwardly happen to me I am cumbered daily and do care for all the Out-Calleds The God and Father the Lord [of] us Jesus Christ 29: Who is sick and I am not sick Who is hurt in the faith and my heart burns not TYN 30: If I must needs glory I will glory of the things which concern my weaknesses 31:  who is blessed for evermore knows that I lie not 32: In Damascus the governor under Aretas the king guarded the city of the Damascenes with a garrison desiring to apprehend me 33: And through a window in a basket was I let down by the wall and escaped his hands


[1] In 2 Corinthians 11:4, Paul is writing to Christians and warning them not to receive a different spirit from the Holy Spirit. How can we tell the difference? We renew our minds daily by the washing of the water of The Word. We read our Bibles. We compare everything to The Word of God, and if it doesn’t line up, we reject it. The Holy Spirit will not teach anything that is contrary to the scriptures.

[3] The early church did not believe or teach that God only called the twelve as apostles. Indeed, the apostle Paul himself was not one of the twelve (original or otherwise). It was Matthias who took Judas’ place and was ordained as an apostle by the original eleven [who were inspired by prophecy to choose him]. Matthias did not lose his place as an apostle when Paul was born again and accepted that calling. At the very least, Paul would have been the 13th apostle [14th counting Judas]. The ministry gift of apostle is still active in the Church today, just as much as prophet, evangelist, pastor, and teacher. The warning in this passage, is not against the ministry gift of apostle itself, but rather against false apostles.

[4] 2 Corinthians 11:17: Paul never claimed that every word he wrote was Holy Writ. In fact, he often stated that it was not. When we read the apostle Paul’s writings, we must discern between what he claims is, “Thus saith the LORD,” and his commentary on what has already been written (the scriptures -Isaiah 8:20).

Paul even warned of counterfeit letters being distributed among believers as from him. Do we really believe that counterfeiters would not also take Paul’s legitimate letters and change them, interpolating their own skewed views? Some scholars believe there are instances of this in our Bibles today. Paul addressed the issue of the forgeries in his letter to Thessalonica.

“Now we beseech you brethren by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and by our gathering together unto him That you be not soon shaken in mind or be troubled neither by spirit, nor by word nor by letter as from us forgeries with interpolations as that the day of Christ is at hand Let no one deceive you by any means…” –2 Thessalonians 2:1-3

That is why Christians should read the Old Testament and gain a comprehensive knowledge of what it says and does not say. Because those are the scriptures referred to in the New Testament. The early Ekklesia compared everything the apostles taught with what had already been written (as commanded in Isaiah 8:20). And we must do the same.

[5] Paul seemingly died when he was stoned Acts 14:19-20 (at least everyone thought he was dead), and then, to everyone’s amazement, after he was lying on the ground dead, stood up (apparently completely healed of the injuries inflicted by the stones) and walked into the city. According to his own testimony, he died more than once, likely a result of the stoning and at least a few of the five scourging’s he received. It could have been during one of these times that he was caught up to Paradise (located outside our kosmos, in the third heaven) occurred, where he saw things he was not permitted to tell. Paul never claimed to have an out of body experience, and it is possible that he died, went to Paradise, and rose from the dead 2 Corinthians 12:1-5.  

No comments: