Acts Chapter 24: Persecuted Over the Resurrection



       1: And after five days Ananias the high priest descended with the elders and with a certain orator named Tertullus who informed the governor against Paul 2: And when he was called forth Tertullus began to accuse him saying Seeing that by thee we enjoy great quietness and that very worthy deeds are done to this nation by your providence 3: We accept it always and in all places most noble Felix with all thankfulness 4: Notwithstanding that I be not further tedious to you I ask you that you would hear us of your clemency a few words 5: For we have found this man a pestilent fellow and a mover of sedition among all the Jews throughout the world and a ringleader of the sect of the Nazarenes[1] 6: Who also has gone about to profane the temple whom we took and would have judged according to our law 7: But the chief captain Lysias came upon us and with great violence took him away out of our hands 8: Commanding his accusers to come to you by examining of whom yourself may take knowledge of all these things whereof we accuse him 9: And the Jews also assented saying that these things were so 10: Then Paul after that the governor had beckoned to him to speak answered Forasmuch as I know that you have been of many years a judge to this nation I do the more cheerfully answer for myself 11: Because that you may understand that there are yet but twelve days since I went up to Jerusalem for to worship 12: And they neither found me in the temple disputing with any one neither inciting the people neither in the synagogues nor in the city 13: Neither can they prove the things whereof they now accuse me 14: But this I confess to you that after the Way which they call heresy so worship I the God of my fathers believing all things which are written in the law and in the prophets 15: And have hope toward God which they themselves also allow that there shall be a resurrection of the dead both of the just and unjust 16: And herein do I exercise myself to have always a conscience void of offence toward God and toward men 17: Now after many years I came to bring alms to my nation and offerings 18: Whereupon certain Jews from Asia found me purified in the temple neither with multitude nor with tumult 19: Who ought to have been here before you and object if they had ought against me 20: Or else let these same here say if they have found any evil doing in me while I stood before the council 21: Except it be for this one voice that I cried standing among them Touching the resurrection of the dead I am called in question by you this day 22: And when Felix heard these things having more perfect knowledge of that Way he deferred them and said When Lysias the chief captain shall come down I will know the uttermost of your matter 23: And he commanded a centurion to keep Paul and to let him have liberty and that he should forbid none of his acquaintance to minister or come to him 24: And after certain days when Felix came with his wife Drusilla who was a Jewess he sent for Paul and heard him concerning the faith in Christ 25: And as he reasoned of righteousness temperance and judgment to come Felix trembled and answered Go your way for this time when I have a convenient season I will call for you 26: He hoped also that money should have been given him of Paul that he might release him wherefore he sent for him the oftener and communed with him 27: But after two years Porcius Festus replaced Felix and Felix willing to please the Jews left Paul bound


[1] True followers of Christ have been viewed as the scourge of society and targeted for persecution somewhere on the globe at virtually every point in history. The time we are living in now is no exception. It is notable, that in the year 2017, in the United States of America, a country founded on the precepts of free speech and religious liberty, President Donald John Trump found it necessary to issue an Executive Order restoring the Constitutional rights of Americans to freedom of religion and verbal expression—the gag order on the pulpit being removed by giving Pastors freedom to express any opinion they choose during church and public meetings. 

Additional commentary pending for this chapter. Questions and comments are welcome


No comments: