Genesis 12:1 Matthew 10:37 Discipleship 101

Get thee out of thy country...And from thy kindred...And from thy father's house...Unto a land that I will show thee. Genesis 12:1

These words were spoken not only to Abram, but to every soul who ever comes to Christ.

When we come to Christ, we become sons of God, citizens of Heaven. Our first allegiance is to Him. Genesis 12:1 is very clear that there is no place for national pride in the heart of a follower of Christ. No, nor family pride either.

We should be looking for the land that he will show us. But the simple truth is this. God cannot bring us into His land--The Promised Land--unless we are first willing to renounce both national and familial pride and allegiance.

Jesus backs this up when he tells us that, "He that loveth father or mother more than me, is not worthy of me. He that loveth son or daughter more than me, is not worthy of me (Matthew 10:37)."

It doesn't get any clearer than that.

No comments: